Friday, January 15, 2010

What do you do with a broken heart?

As I have been preparing to speak to the students at Bethel College in February, I have been asking myself what topic to approach. Obviously, the invitation is because of nonprofit work with children of divorce, but how can I relate to college students?
What do we have in common? What do we have in common with mankind? What experience do most people have before they die?
A broken heart, at some point.
So, what do you do with a broken heart?
That is my question to you.
History reveals that some of the most amazing humanitarians started their efforts with a broken heart.
History also reveals some of the most tragic events were caused by a broken heart!
So, I ask you, the audience of my meanderings, what have you done with a broken heart?

2 comments:

Clint said...

God did it by reconiliation.

Sasha Townsend said...

I thought I'd share a related quote:

The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.-
Elizabeth Kubler Ross

Hopefully, that is what we do with our broken hearts. That's what I've tried to do with mine.