Monday, January 11, 2010

What can bring you to tears the fastest?

Have you ever asked yourself what brings yourself to tears the fastest?
I used to ask myself this as a little girl because I was convinced that I was going to be a movie star when the agent found me checking out at the Walmart and that I would need to be able to cry in the movies.
Until eighth grade not a lot made me cry, as a matter of fact, I was kinda good at not crying about things that probably merited tears.
But the shock of losing my friend and cousin at seventeen to a car accident changed everything, tears flowed easily. She was my trusted confidant that knew my real life, the painful one. She was actually the only one who really knew some of the tragic experiences I had had as youngster. In an instant, gone. She left our house and never made it to her house. I couldn't say her name for over ten years without crying, the ugly cry.
Her loss changed my life. The last thing I said to her was "I love you." I never regretted that. Because of her loss, I say those words frequently to people I love and care about.
Those were also my last words to my dad before his passing. Just to type that sentence makes me cry, I am still in my decade of tears at the name...only on year three for this unfortunate loss. Like my cousin, at his passing, he was truly my best friend. We talked almost everyday on our cell phones for over a year. With each upgrade on my cell phone, I couldn't bear to take his name and number out. When I look at my phone I remember so many crazy conversations, one while I was in a boat with friends on the lake. It didn't matter where I was, if Dad called, I answered because I always knew it could be our last conversation.
So, why I am blogging about this now? Because this weekend I got a new phone and it was so painful. I went back and forth on taking his number out, but I just couldn't do it. I cried a lot about it, which was shocking to me.
Being aware of the human experience of all mankind, I started to wonder...what kind of things bring other people to tears?

No comments: