Thursday, January 14, 2010

Feast or Famine

I don't know how many of you grew up hearing, "It's either feast or famine."
But for me, out of all the maternal sayings I remember, this one has always rang true.
Growing up it was always "feast or famine" with boys, friendships, successes, failures...you name it, there was never balance.
Last week, I begged to get out of the house, but snow and illness prevented it for most of the week. FAMINE.
This week; however, I have been running like a chicken with my head cut off, seriously.
I have had meeting after meeting for Blended Love, which I love, but boy howdy. I have seven writing projects going on, some written on fast food napkins or my phone because I am not home. Dinners, lunches, practices, commitments....oh, so much.FEAST.
The irony here is that like many of you, I preach balance. Yet, my life doesn't reflect it at all. I preach, everything has a season, yet I myself have put all four in the same month.
I guess I must go back to the old adage of "feast or famine" and enjoy both of them whenever they come.
Moments like this morning; how many of you can say you were driving two girls to Chick-fa-la at 5:40 a.m. this morning? Or that you got to drive to the top of a hill and watch the sun come up with little girls oohing and awing the experience?
I did. It was a feast. A feast of opportunity that would have been missed if I listened to the book on my nightstand that demands balance.
Joy can be found in the feast or the famine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are times that we have to pull back and say no, enough is enough for now...need that rest, that time aside.

Monica said...

thank you, such a great reminder

Sasha Townsend said...

Amen!