Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Real Human Experience

Last week I spoke on having a broken heart and the humanitarian efforts that have come out of a life with a broken heart. I used a quote I love,
"It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise." by Sara Teasdale
Although I appreciate the wisdom and understanding that comes from painful experiences, some days...I beg for mercy...to feel less.
I am not sure if my heart is more open, tattered and scarred and that is why it feels so much or if not being a stranger to pain makes it so familiar? Who knows?
But I do know that hurting people are all around us. We have no idea how many terminal cancer patients we are passing as our cart goes down the grocery isle. We have no idea how many receptionists we are dealing with that may have just lost a mother, brother or even their own child. Who knows if the guy checking us out at our favorite fast food lost his corporate job and is having to manage the drive thru to provide food for his family.
Hurting, scared people...desperate for us, anyone, to try even for a minute to walk in their shoes and understand their pain.
One of those guys going up and down the grocery store is my step dad. Be kind to him. Flash a smile. His spirits are easily lifted with smiles and hugs. He is not too different from a lot of people. It doesn't take much, really.
This week, I challenge you and myself, to go out of our way to try to walk with someone in a crisis. If your schedule only allows an hour, use that hour.
Those of us that have experienced pain should be even more accountable to lift up another human being. We know personally what it feels like to feel an arm under yours lifting you from a low place, it feels doable. At that moment, you know, you might just get through it.
Help someone get through it.

No comments: