Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ledge of Bad Leadership

My daughter is a lot like her mother in that she views events and experiences through incredibly creative lenses.  I appreciate that about her and always enjoy her photography.  She took this picture.
When I look at it I immediately think of the tricky balance of leading people or movements.
The owl looks confident on his ledge of leadership, but does he really?  Because from a different angle you could think he was planning a fatal jump out of despair.  Perception...
I believe people who are put in charge of leading people and movements are sometimes a bit manic, which is part of the attraction and energy that brings a following.
Here in America we've seen a lot of manic leaders that take us down a path of hope and inspiration only to drop us off at infidelity and resignation.  The ledge, my friend, can be deceiving.
I believe that the great leaders have never mounted themselves on the ledge.  The great leaders are in the crowd inspiring movements as one of the many.
"The real leader  has no need to lead -- he is content to point the way."  Henry Miller

No comments: