Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Everyday is a gift. Not just this moment writing, which I love and find as therapy, but all the moments...listening, loving someone, driving, cooking, returning emails...you know, the day. Your day is not promised, so treasure it as a gift.
I say this because I have lost loved ones to cancer and have one right now fighting this battle for more days. So, the harsh reality of our days being numbered has shaped a lot of my thinking and life. As I plan my time throughout the day, I know it is a gift to be able to implement all that is on my schedule.
Today, I got to read, Hop on Pop, to a group of fabulous third graders at Addams Elementary School because today is Dr. Seuss' Birthday, seriously, it is his birthday. And how beautiful to celebrate the occasion with a group of kids so pumped to eat green eggs and ham for lunch!
I am thankful for the moments of remembering the joy of reading a book of rhyme and silly words...with each little giggle coming from beneath my feet was a memory of happiness with a book that makes you laugh.
Oh, laugh...don't take yourself so seriously...grab a book by Dr. Seuss if you have to...but don't waste today with your worry because tomorrow is not promised and wouldn't you be incredibly disappointed if you kept trying to juggle the world's problems on your bike and never stopped to just take a joy ride!

No comments: