Monday, June 1, 2009

June -- Father's Day Reminders


The month of June always reminds me of how much I miss my dad. The two of us could talk on the phone for hours. If we would have been taped you'd thought it was a philosophy class lecture being prepared.
Some of the most practical advice I ever received was from my dad.
Once when I was in college I got sick of the "institution" and decided I was going to quit and find my own way to be successful. Since he had been a hippie, musician all his life I felt confident I would have his approval on this one, but boy was I wrong. His words still ring in my ears.
"Monica, the world works like this...you either make money "reacting" to other people to pay your way or you provide the "action" to pay your own way. If you quit college you will always be a "reactor," but if you finish your degree you might get the chance to actually create the "action.""
Sure I cried and disagreed at first, but it sunk in and I took the advice.
Now, I am creating the action and thankful for the man who sometimes pointed out things I wasn't always looking for but needed.
Happy Father's Day, Dad.

No comments: