Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Irreplaceable

This season, for some, is the month of Abib or Nisan - the first month of God's calendar according to Exodus and other testaments in the Bible.  It is a time of rebirth, both visually in the world and spiritually in the heart.  As buds bloom and the warm air allows us to sit outside and take in all of the beauty that is waking up from such a dead slumber, our minds are also waking up to the idea that someday we will be waking up from a dead slumber to a bloom we cannot even comprehend - our own resurrection.
Lately, I have heard an expression that has caused me to evaluate its meaning.  The expression is, "he (Christ) took my place on that cross."  I am sure that I have heard this expression a million times and have probably even said it, but this year - I stopped - thought and hurt over ever having said it.
He, Christ, did not take my place.  My death on a cross would have simply just been a dead person on a cross.  This is not an equal exchange.  We are not equal.
Christ, adorned in favor and royalty, power and prestige - did not replace a man.  He rescued mankind from never blooming.
Regardless of the songs we sing, our feeble attempt to say thank you, or our horrid cliches throughout the season - know this - He is irreplaceable.

No comments: