Monday, April 4, 2011

humility, man's greatest asset

Lately, I have found myself in circles of conversation that appear to be a verbal display of dominance.  It is amazing how many people feel it is necessary to speak their resume or accomplishments, having no idea how transparent their insecurities are to the circle.
I have the privilege of having a walking buddy that has reached many of the world's pedestals, and do you know what she encourages in my life?  My motherhood.  Her professional experience and resume could compete with any woman in the metroplex, and she knows my ambitious side to create movements and succeed in nonprofit business - yet, in her age and wisdom - humbly, she promotes "motherhood."
Her humility in conversation has led to my growing respect for the person she is at the core, not her resume.
What a model.
You don't have to reach the top rung on the ladder to display humility that leads to respect.  It starts with just accepting yourself - exploring your beliefs and staying true to them - it starts with transparency.
Think about it.  Think on all the circles of conversation you've been in - who did you enjoy most?  The boaster or the party goer who just lived in the moment?
Unfortunately, I have been both.  I hate that.  I wish I could say that I have always been comfortable in my own skin, but I haven't.  Mainly from wounding, lack of validation, I have been the chic in the circle begging for scraps of encouragement after reciting my accomplishments - ouch!   The worst part of that is when you hit the pillow at night and you are reflecting the evening and all that stands out is your own insecurity.  Bummer, embarrassment - especially when you know better.
How do I combat this?  Hearing truth.  Hearing what is noble and truthful, which is, simply - man's greatest asset is HUMILITY.

No comments: