Monday, July 18, 2011

Family Traditions


When I was younger, I was enamored by family traditions.
My Mom’s side of the family always had a wonderful Thanksgiving tradition.  The kids (me and my cousins) all played together while the big people put all of the dishes in some kind of order to make walking through with your plate a bit easier for everyone.  My goodness, we must have had over fifty people every year.  Some years that line was at our house, or my Grandma Shirley’s house and then finally to end up at my Aunt Novella’s house where it remains today.
I wouldn’t trade a single Thanksgiving Day for all of the money in the world.  My cousin, Jeanean, was one of those cousins I played with, looked up to and shared that tradition with back then.  She is no longer with us, but there hasn’t been a Thanksgiving since that I haven’t shared a memory of her and our times playing in the yard or listening to music.
Traditions, I have decided now, are created by adults who understand this concept of making memories.  Adults who know that each day is a gift and that time is flying by so it is important to reserve the time for those you love.  Those you want to always say, “remember when…”
Eden’s Nana understands this concept.  Since I joined the family as Brian’s girlfriend at eighteen, she has always hosted a Sunday dinner.  A spot on all of our calendars to come together and enjoy her infamous cooking.
Brian and I even drove home from college each weekend to keep the tradition of the Sunday dinner.  Obviously, no one had to twist our arm, we were broke and happy to get an incredible meal for free.  We also found ourselves loving the game of Scrabble with his parents.
Over the years that tradition alone kept our family close.  Megan, Brian’s sister, graduated from college herself and began a career.  As her schedule has become even more demanding and her life crazier than I can remember, she still tries to keep the ancient tradition of Sunday dinner – thus keeping our Daddy’s girl in our lives.
We have had seasons of busyness for all of us.  Yet, the perpetual date of Sunday dinner remains on all of our calendars.
This year, I have decided to quit being enamored with traditions and start creating them.  To start thinking about ways to set dates on the calendar to say, “I care about making memories with you.”
Because I do.  Money has never lured my affection, but people caring to make memories with me will get me every time.

No comments: