Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Crazy Aunt Carol

When I was a little girl my crazy Aunt Carol took me to Six Flags.  She is hilarious.  She is one of those women that has absolutely no boundaries.  The possibilities for fun are endless with her - they always have been from even my first memories of her in my life.
As I was at Six Flags on Friday with Brian and Eden, I found myself revisiting a moment I had as a five- year old - facing an adventure head on, Aunt Carol style!
Looking up at the rickety roller coaster I immediately thought of all of the things that could go wrong, until I looked down at the nine-year old eyes begging for an adventure.  So, I put on my big girl pants and thought of the joy I had once had at Six Flags taking on rides that felt too big for me.
I told my little adventurer the story of my dear Aunt Carol bribing me with a pink elephant named Crystal to ride the parachute ride with my cousins.  Aunt Carol not only got me to have an adventure, but she gave me an even greater gift of passing it along.
One day - one moment - over thirty something years ago and wha-la - CONTAGIOUS.
I have now been reminded of the moments that can be passed down.  Time invested in teaching children to love an adventure is priceless and only takes being in the moment.
Be contagious - oh if I could lone out my crazy Aunt Carol to all school-aged children.

No comments: