Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Daddy's Heart

Most of you have realized already that my step dad, Tom Hudson, the man who ripped my heart out with his suffering, passed away last week.  He did.  He suffered at the end more than I have ever witnessed firsthand and unfortunately, I have seen a lot, as I watched my biological daddy turn to skin and bones - screaming out in pain as cancer ate through his bones.
You may think I am being a bit graphic, but I want you to understand the visuals that expose these thoughts.  Graphics that will not soon be forgotten - until now.
Why now?  Because that is the power of taking thoughts captive.  That is the power of our minds.  When I begin to camp out on the horror of their suffering, I stop - kick it out - and remember what these men lived for.  They did not live to suffer.  Their lives should not be highlighted by the end.
Ironically, these two men had a lot in common.  I shouldn't be surprised considering the same woman, my mom, choose both of them.
Tom Hudson lived to share the gospel in complete freedom.  He announced his position in the family of God to whomever would listen.  Sometimes it got embarrassing, not for him, but for us.  I am far from embarrassed now.  I am thankful.  His child-like declarations of grace and love are comforting me now.
My dad, Michael, was more of the serious sorts when it came to his faith.  He loved to have philosophical conversations about the way God worked in the world and what parts of life emulated His character.  He spent a lot of time being incredibly curious about the details of the inner workings of creation.  I understand that.  I have that side, too.  That side causes me to dive into study verses taking the Christian rhetoric and calling it faith.  It isn't by the way.  It is just a vocabulary that brings no comfort at all, just a social circle that can talk the same.
These men, have me in common, a daughter with a piece of each of them to carry on a legacy.  The legacy of faith, real faith.  I am blessed.  I am grateful.  I have been loved as a daughter by two exceptional men.  Men I am pleased to call my dad.  I praise God that after three step dads, He allowed me to have an open heart to love a man that was able to give the best gift a man is able to give - a daddy's heart.

No comments: