Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Big Girl Pants


I have never once apologized for putting on my big, girl pants.  I never regret it either.
Putting on those pants means I had the courage to apologize, the courage to do something I am terrified of, or forgive someone when I didn’t want to go there.
Big, girl pants are a choice, a beautiful choice that is only chosen when I rise above the petty and go for the gold in character and action.
My big, girl pants have been in my closet for a long time.  I remember putting them on when confronted about my chameleon behavior.  People pleasing, for me, has always been the best defense for keeping the pain of rejection at bay. Frightened of not being considerate of others or a perpetual listening ear led me to a life of putting my own agenda so far back I would be dying having accomplished nothing but meeting everyone else’s needs.  My funeral would have been fabulous, but it would have reflected the bending and stretching of a person at the expense of a life.  Painful to reflect on now, but celebrated to see the power of the big, girl pants and the strength that allows me to love with my whole, complete heart instead of the timid heart afraid of revealing the lifeblood in it.
My big, girl pants become larger each time I wear them.  I find I am more self assured and more comfortable wearing them as I age and learn life’s truth and the Creator of that truth.  That doesn’t mean those pants reflect arrogance, they don’t.  Actually, it is just the opposite… they reflect a quiet humility that demands respect not attention. 
So, as you are doing the spring cleaning and deciding which clothes to throw out; I strongly suggest keeping the big, girl pants!

No comments: